Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My "cellar"

Sometimes when I come home from work I get warnings. Today, my wife picked me up from work and her Brother was in the back seat. Now, this could mean a couple things which of course, I fear the worst.

The first thing, which isn't bad, is that we've got dinner plans. I love to eat. I love going out to eat. When he's with us it usually means we go out for sushi. Again, I love sushi. But alas, this wasn't why he was in the car, which ultimately leads me to the worse of the scenarios.

The second thing usually involves a lot of moving of furniture. I've come home from work before and literally had everything in the place completely moved, on opposite ends of the apartment, to the point where I have to walk outside and walk back in because I think I've just randomly walked into someone else's home.

Luckily, today didn't involve anything really moving. It did however, involve a pretty big mess where my kitchen table sits and next to where I store my "cellared" beers. Now mind you, I don't have too many beers I'm holding on to, but still, I've got some. I've wanted to keep these in better condition than just a cabinet with no temperature control.

See, being in an apartment, bringing in a new piece of furniture isn't always easy. Obviously, you're crunched for space as it is. We've got a bar cabinet next to the dining table which I've started using. Anyway, my wife and her brother went over to Lowe's and picked up a sheet of insulation and cut it down to size. Below are a few pictures. It's nothing crazy or overly elaborate, but it's pretty damn awesome none the less. Hopefully this helps keep my beer in decent shape for when I eventually decide to crack some of them open.


Here's the beginning. Just a small cabinet with a shelf and the beers I'm currently holding on to. Here's what I've got in there so far:

Firestone Walker - Parabola
Firestone Walker - Sucaba
Sierra Nevada -  Bigfoot (3)
The Bruery -  Autumn Maple
The Bruery - Melange 3
Rip Current - Vanilla Rescue Buoy 
New Belgium  - Cascara Quad (Lips of Faith)
Iron Fist - Dark Days
Deschutes - Black Butte XXV
Stone - Stone Farking Wheaton W00tstout (2)


My BiL measuring pieces out. He's good at math. My wife, not so much. 


Work in progress. The books are to keep the sheets down helping the glue dry. I'm only planning on using the top shelf for now. Bottom shelf maybe if I get carried away. 

So yeah, came home to a nice surprise. I don't like to spend a ton of money on beer even though I spend too much as it is. This will at least make it easier for me to make a few extra purchases here and there to add to the stash. I've got a few in mind already. Specifically, an AleSmith Old Ale and a couple more w00tstouts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment